Sep 21, 2010

Francisco


Francisco is one of our part time workers. He used to be one of our night guards, but he’s older and had a hard time staying awake.
We knew we needed to replace him, but we also didn’t want him to be without work and money.

So we decided to offer him part time work, mornings only, sweeping up the grounds, watering the garden, and keeping the cars clean.
He was so grateful for the work, even with the cut in pay.
 He is just such a dear sweet man, for the longest time I couldn’t understand a single word he said. He talks like he’s got a mouth full of food, and I think he mixes his Portuguese with Sena.
Anyway, bit by bit I have come to understand him and now we even ‘talk’ with each other, more than just the…. good morning- how are you- how’s your family- kind of talk.
No mater what you might be talking about with him, he never fails to say “Deus e’ grande”! (God is great!)
He says it with such enthusiasm,  with both hands clenched in fists and held up beside his head.  Here it comes….his weathered face turns into a huge smile and then he says it…Deus e’ grande!

The other day he was cleaning the inside of one of the cars and he came to me and gave me a  coin, 10 metacais.  This is like about 3 cents to us, but it here it would buy 3 large rolls, or a big bunch of bananas. Then finally I understood  the word for ‘carpet’ and ‘inside’ as I realized what he was telling me, tears were in my eyes.
He found the coin while cleaning the car and wanted to give it to me.
Praise the Lord!  The man could have easily put the coin in his pocket and no one would have ever known. Well, that’s exactly what I told him as I thanked him and praised God for his honesty!  Then of course I gave him the coinJ ….I just love living life here!

1 comment:

emily said...

God is Great!!!! So fun to "hear you" again! All is swell here. Nearly had to turn the heat on this weekend, and did turn the air on today.... tough... life here in Iowa! Miss you, see you soon, sorry that makes you sad! Hugs beanie!