May 4, 2011

It's about time!

The title says 'it's about time', now that could be taken one of two ways. 
Either 'it's about time I'm back in Mozambique', or i't's about time I updated my blog'.... I'll let you decide.


As of right now, both are officially true!


The travel seems to go quicker each time I make the trip. Or should I say 'we' make the trip. Having a traveling companion is really a plus! This trip was uneventful ( Praise God!) all the flights were on time, the layovers were just long enough, and all our luggage made it!


Initially, we didn't have to pay for the extra bags, but as we were boarding the international flight at Dulles it was determined that we needed to pay. 
So we thank God for the generous donation we had received to cover this cost.
We were able to book the luggage through to Beira ( which is a really big deal!)
and it arrived when we did!


We were greeted by a few dear friends, fellow CRI staff and several of the nationals we love! It was such a good feeling to step off the plan and see their smiling faces. The sounds, sights and smells everything felt right.


At the same time, there are so many things to remember...the language, the greetings, driving on the left side of the road....


As we weaved our way down the streets my mind was flooded with memories, had we really been gone for 6 months? It feels as though we never left! 
We exchanged money with the help of Ercilio our national field leader, and then off to Shop Rite for a few groceries. 
The guys who watch out for us and keep an eye on our car were there, hugs all around then in to see what we could find at Shop Rite, one sad note, no popcorn! 


We finally arrived at our house #6 in Lusalite...such a good sight. 
As the van pulled up and came to a stop, we could hear a familiar sound of music! It was the handball team! They came out singing, playing guitars and drumming, all with big smiling faces!
Kathy has some great pics of this (my battery was dead) so check out her blog as well when you get a chance!


First the captain of the team stepped out and officially welcomed us back. Then one by one each young man came up and greeted us with their best English and a big hug! 
It was such a sweet welcome home!! We just pray that God will continue to bless these young men. As they are all striving to follow the Lord.


We were invited to the Johnson's (fellow CRI staff) for dinner, so we walked the 1/4 mile to their house. We didn't see any snakes, the monkeys must have all been asleep, but I did get a closer than I like look at a bat as we walked home. 


Now the work really begins and so we ask that you keep us in your prayers.
We need to get adjusted to the time and weather changes, as well as re acclimate to the culture, language.... I need to start unpacking,I will update again soon.


 God's grace and peace to you all.



2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh, I can just see the greeting! That is what kept me from being a blubbering mess again at the airport, I just knew you were going to have a great party! Love you, em

Ann T. said...

Hi Val, I really enjoyed reading about your special journey. Look forward to keeping up with you. Love, Ann