May 24, 2009

Sunday Worship in Mozambique

We had worship today, twice, and it was great!

We missed the first part of one service as our car would not start. This is nothing surprising for life here in Mozambique. Then as one of our fellow CRI staff members was coming to pick us up, the car decided to start. 
We flagged down our rescuer and all headed back to the church. 
It was so good to reconnect with the people we have come to know and love. People that God has allowed us to love and people who we have prayed for since we left Mozambique last year.

After the service we joined Pastor Jeronimo and Noemia for lunch at Yeye's. It's an out door restaurant where the chickens roam around under you table as you eat. Did I mention what we ate? 
Chicken. It's what everyone orders every time.  It's a half of a very small chicken and some fries. It's quite tasty and reminds me of home, except for the live ones under the table clucking as they wander around.

Tonight at the second service I finally got to see Maria. She is a women I met last year. 
She understands no English and my Portuguese...well let's just say it needs work.

Anyway, we seemed to have this connection last summer and 'spoke' in sign language mostly. She was pregnant when I left in August and due to have the baby at anytime. I promised to pray for her and the baby and she said she would remember me in prayer as well.

I had found out that she gave birth to a baby boy in August. Both were healthy and doing well. But that was almost a year ago and there are no guarantees, especially here in Mozambique, that the baby was still alive.
So when I turned around and saw her, and then saw a little baby in her lap I started to cry. 
After the service we hugged and exchanged love with one another. It was so sweet to be there in that moment.
I was able to say (in Portuguese) that I was so grateful and thankful to God, that I was there seeing her and her baby!!
When I asked his name (which again, I was able to do in Portuguese) she responded, Santiago.
Santiago is Portuguese for James. 
I then told her that my late husband's name was James and we both hugged again and praised our God!
God is so good!
It was a good day, a very good day.


2 comments:

JiLl T said...

Thanks for posting this. God continues to amaze me as our team prepares to come to Moz. I have received ten 'lighly used' ACE bandages. Can you use them?

I look forward to seeing you in person and working hard alongside you as we serve God by serving the ppl in Dondo. Go, God!

Praying that you will remain healthy and safe.
JT

Diane Ryan said...

Val,

I just read all your blogs. You do a wonderful job of sharing God's amazing working in your life! I LOVE your sweet account of seeing Maria and her little "james" May you continue to be free to share love with the people God places in your path. For your love, dear friend, is a blessing to those who know you! It is genuine and sincere, and a reflection of the love of Christ within you! My prayers are with you guys!!!!

Diane Ryan