Sep 3, 2009

Domingo and the water well

I went to the farm today to get water. We have  a well there and the water is safe for us to drink. 
Usually when you get there, Domingo, the young man that tends the farm, is not far behind.
 I'm not sure how he does it, but by the time you shut off the truck he is there and ready to unload the water jugs.
So I thought it was strange when I saw no sign of him.
I proceeded to rinse and then fill the water jugs. I kept thinking surely he will show up soon. After  about 35 minutes I had filled all ten water jugs and loaded them back onto the truck. No sign of Domingo today.

It wasn't until later in the day that I heard the news. Domingo and his wife were expecting a baby. But yesterday she gave birth prematurely and the baby died. My heart grieved for him and his wife.

I met his wife one day, as I was getting water. She was so sweet, young, beautiful and very pregnant. He was so proud of her. His face would light up whenever you inquired about her and the baby.
I would always encourage  Domingo to come to church. He would always smile and say  'sim talvez Domingo'. ( yes maybe Sunday)  But we never saw him. The day I met his wife I encouraged her to bring Domingo to church. She just smile and looked embarrassed as I tried to encourage her.

I have thought a lot about the times I have encouraged this young man to come to church, to hear about our God. Now he is dealing with this incredible loss, who is supporting them? Who can encourage them? How can they possibly deal with this loss without the help of our Heavenly Father?
How can anyone get through one single day without Him?
Each time the Lord has brought this young family to mind, I have prayed for them. I pray that as they grieve their loss, the Lord will use this event to draw them nearer to Him.


I'll set my gaze on God alone and trust in Him completely. With every breath pour out my soul and He will prove His mercy. Though life is but a fleeting breath, a sign to deep to measure. My King has crushed the curse of death and I am His forever.
 Psalm 62, by Aaron Keyes

No comments: