May 28, 2010

Clean water wells!

The past few days I helped out with the well drilling team from Tomball Texas. I haven't exactly drilled any wells, but they did need someone who was able to drive and so that's where I came in.

Over the last 2 weeks these guys have been drilling and repairing water wells at the Ray of Light project.
This week they have been working at the church plant in Savane. It's about an hour and a half drive, on precarious dirt roads.

The well is being dug about 200 feet from the new cement church being built there. There is much excitement and the people are thanking and praising God for His faithfulness!
We left early each morning and after spending time singing and praying with the ladies of the church, I watched the guys work.

I spend 2 days pretty much standing ( you can't sit because of the ants)  around watching them work, thinking "God you can't possibly mean for me to sit here and do nothing".

Shortly after that Agosta brought her daughter to me explaining that she had a problem and wondered if I could help. So the back seat of the truck became my clinic. Soon all the ladies asked 'Ela Enfermeira'? ( Is she a nurse?) Before long each of the women had some condition they needed to share with me.
So I did what I could with the supplies I had on hand, they were pleased,  and I was seeing God's hand in all of it!

There was another reason for my presence there. Quite simply, to bridge the gap between two cultures.
I am by no means an expert, but I have learned over these past 2 1/2  years that there are differences!
Besides the obvious ones you may think of, there are many not so apparent ones.

I was grateful to be there, to be able to explain why some things were being done the way they were being done.
These guys were working hard to accomplish the task at hand. Like most all of us, we tend to be so focused on the work that we forget about our surroundings.
I was grateful to be able to answer their questions and give some basic explanations.

So it was good that I was there, right where God meant for me to be at that time.
I was blessed by being with the ladies of Savane church whom I love!
Watching them clear a field while singing, or tend to their garden while preparing food and watching children....it's quite simply amazing to watch how these ladies live their lives!

I suppose the bottom line is, no matter where God has me is where I am suppose to be. So while I was  'being bored' and thinking about the other things I was suppose to be doing, God opened my eyes to see the importance of each and every little thing He asks us to do.
They were good days filled with multiple mini blessings and as we prepare to head back in the morning, I am looking forwad to what God has planned next.
Thanks for reading....








1 comment:

emily said...

You are so cool! Well, you and God! How awesome that you are learning to see Him in absolutely everything! Miss you, thanks so much for filling us in on "every day stuff" ~ so incridible! Truly praying for your guys every day! Much love!!!!