May 25, 2010

Working for the Lord

I am not sure it's possible to do justice to explaining the day the Lord has arranged, but I will try.

My heart, soul, mind, and body have been stimulated since 5:15 this morning!
Mostly my days consist of multiple small jobs and errands. All very important and necessary, but some might consider them menial, in fact even I used too!

Praise God that He has shown me that what I used to consider menial is really quite essential to the work the Lord is doing here in Dondo with the Ray of Light project.

Today I made two trips to the market. Once in the morning( I do this everyday) to get the supplies needed for today and tomorrow. Then I needed to return at dusk as the plans for tomorrow had changed.
So,  I needed to get extra supplies for the water well drilling team who will be on-site all day.

It's not a good idea to go to the market late in the day, it gets dark early and quickly! But, I had just been informed of the change in plans and with the early start planned for morning, I knew I needed to get to the market tonight. I was not looking forward to this.

Our three newest translators ( we call them The Three Amigos) were finishing up some work in the yard and I asked if they would come to the market with me.
I love these guys! They are 17 years old and the nicest young men you could ever hope to meet.
They all eagerly agreed to come with me and instantly I felt a sense of relief.

So here it is getting dark fast and I'm driving to the market making my list in my mind. I wanted to get this done quickly and get back home.
So I decided to ask Fernando where we should go for the beans. I come to the market everyday and have my ladies I do business with, but now it's different....it's dark out and there are no lights at the market!

Fernando puts the question to the guys and they start firing back and forth where I should go. It is so great to watch these three together, they are quite the team! I was loving the moment and the opportunity that the Lord had allowed me this night.

We enter the first shop, they had lights, we buy the beans and move on. The next shop had the oil we needed, and the guys were around me like 'what's his name' in The Bodyguard.
You would have thought it was my first day in Dondo and I had never been to the market before. The guys took my money from me and handed it the owner and then accepted the change and counted it making sure it was right. They were taking care of me and I was loving every minute!

Now we're further into the market, where the only lights are some sporadic little fires burning under some cooking pots.
I still needed tomatoes, onions, garlic and peppers.
We ended up going to one of the ladies I've bought from before. I only knew it was Lucinda because of where she was located, and I recognized her voice.
I tell her what I need and as she counts out the vegetables I try to focus my eyes so that I can see. I have to tell you there is no 'checking for good vegetables' in the dark!
So I hand her a bill as she opens up her cell phone for light and begins the challenging task of counting back my change. My Three Amigos are literally at my side, carrying my purchases as well as recounting the change I was given.

I ended up taking my tiny flashlight from my bag to assist in this process.
As they continued to recount the change, I was mindful that perhaps she would think I didn't trust her.
I do trust Lucinda and I wanted that to be conveyed, but at the same time these guys were looking out for me. What was I suppose to do?
Our boys love us as much as we love them... they call Kathy and I 'mum', it is so sweet and blesses us beyond belief.

Okay so finally they are done with their counting, Lucinda had made a mistake only a few coins ( the equivalent of less than a few cents) but the guys were proud to have found the error and she promised to make it right the next time.

I was so blessed by the three of them, for being my guardians, my helpers, for simply being willing to come with me and doing so joyfully!
I treated them to a bunch of bananas ( their choice) and dropped them as close to their home as I could go at that hour.
As I drove the rest of the way home I was smiling and thanking God. Thanking HIm for a great day of small jobs and errands that need to be done. Thanking Him that He has asked me to do them, and that He has blessed me with the most precious people to do them with and for!

I love working for the Lord and I know that these young men have that same spirit, you can see it in their words and actions! Thank you Jesus for Fernando, Afonso and little Fernando!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

GREAT TO GET AN UPDATE. WHAT AN EXPERIENCE AND GOD IS IN IT ALL. PTL!! PRAYING FOR YOU DAILY. SEAN,TIM AND CHEL SHOULD BE THERE SOON TOO AND CHRISTA AND KIDDOS SHOULD HAVE ARRIVED OR WILL SOON. GOD BLESS MARIE

emily said...

God is soooo cool how He uses us! Thanks so much for sharing! Just home from Living History Farms ~ more later! Much love and prayers!em