May 30, 2010

Family Day Celebration

First thing this morning Kathy and I headed to Centro Emissor.
Kathy in one car and I in the pick-up.
The plan: pick up everyone who is coming to the main church in Dondo, for the Annual Family Day Celebration.
The vehicles were filled with singing and dancing! Yes believe it or not, the ladies actually dance in the back of the truck!
The service started about 8:30 with more singing and dancing, then the message. Pastor talked about the importance of the family unit. The need for strong families that include a mother and father. Families who attend church and follow the Lord and not the witchdoctors. The message was powerful and exactly what we would expect from Pastor Jeronimo.

Initially, Afonso was translating. You have to understand how this works. The guys sit beside us and try to wisper in English what is being said. The idea is to not disturb anyone around who is trying to listen to Pastor.
So as Pastor is speaking he doesn't stop for our translators. They need to listen while they translate, and not miss the next thing that is being said. I could never be a translator!
 Afonso who is in his first year of translating for us was having some difficulty. The next thing you know Fernando came to his rescue. Ever so casually he slipped him a small notebook with words to assist him. Words like sovereignty, faithfullness, perseverance, words that Pastor would be likely to use.
It was such a blessing to watch as Fernando demonstrated this act of kindness.
 I had tears in my eyes as I watched the fruits of the Spirit being demonstarted in their actions!
I praise God for these young men and pray that as they grow in the Lord He will use them to do mighty things for His Kingdom in Heaven.

Several church plants were present and each had prepared music and dancing for the congregation...it was awesome. Kathy and I sat there like a couple of proud parents when the people from Centro Emissor had thier turn...they were incredible!!!!
Each year part of the service includes the married couples coming up front and exchanging some words of affirmation.  Then they all kiss for the crowd....it's great fun and elicits quite a response:)

At that moment, God had me see Zito sitting outside the church all alone. Zito is the young man who was married to Ziara. She died about 7 months ago, and immediately my heart ached for Zito.
I knew what he was feeling, I knew this was one of those 'harder than usual' times.
 I went out and sat with him, explaining that God had told me to. I had no words that could help, except to repeat the words I had told myself after Jim died...."God's plan is always perfect, He never makes a mistake."
Zito actually started to cry a bit which is unusual and not acceptable here. In that moment I found myself frustrated. I wanted him to be able to cry, to express his feelings, to let it out! I begged God for the right words. None came.
We sat quietly together until the silence was interrupted by a friendly "bom dia"from someone passing by.
Please keep praying for Zito, that God would help him to see that the plan He has for him and his family is perfect.

The service ended just before 2pm then it was time to eat!

Everyone who wanted lunch had to sign up in advance and pay a small amount for the food that was prepared.  A heaping bowl full of rice, with a few pieces of chicken, some beans and a scoop of coleslaw. It was delicious and a real feast for everyone!
I think is was around 4pm when we loaded up the car and truck for the trip back to Centro Emissor.
It was like coming home from the game and your team had won!! They were all wound up....and still partying, all the way home!!

I have the very best job ever!!!

1 comment:

Johnson's Journal said...

Nice blog post Val! We miss our dancing friends. Glad you were there for Zito too.