Jun 15, 2010

Today, I was driving our visitors around the area to deliver items for some of the children that go to school at El Shaddi.
At one point,  I decided to wait by the truck and keep watch over the rest of the items in the truck.

As, I waited I lost count as to how many times the words "good morning, how are you, and thanks be to God" were spoken.
Either I would start the exchange or the person approaching would beat me to it. One way or the other, these words were expressed with every person that walked by.
 They would slow their pace and some would shake my hand, while others had their hands full.

One young women was walking with a large washtub on her head full of bananas. She was eating a banana as well as nursing the baby that was strapped to her chest!!! Unbelievable!

Several young children passed by, many in school uniforms, they were no more than 6-8 years old. Each one spoke politely to me and smiled....I was so blessed!

One young man approached me, and I was slightly apprehensive as he seemed to 'be in my space' so I backed up a bit and then he asked who the truck belonged to.
I explained that I worked with Pastor Cessito's at the Baptist church.
He told me he knew how to drive. I said that was good, and then he asked if he could have the truck!
I smiled to myself as I remembered something I had read, while studying about the culture and the way they ask for things.
 So I told him the truck was not mine to give, it belonged to the Pastor.
Not knowing what his reaction might be, I prayed to God and then smiled as the man said "okay, goodbye now" in perfect English!

I love the people here! I love living life in Mozambique! Thank you Lord for this day!

2 comments:

Beth Telecky said...

I love you being there! Of course I miss you here but I love the glow that comes over the computer as you tell of the life He has given you there. Thanks so much for sharing!

"You will keep in perfect peace, him whose mind is stayed on Thee." So, friend, STAY!!!! :)

JiLl T said...

Thanks for sharing this story! Keep shining for Jesus, Valeria!