Jul 30, 2010

Chico, our girls, visas...

The other day I was headed over to Mafranhia to pick up some of the team who were painting at the Nutrition center. As I was leaving the housing complex where we live I saw Chico our gardener . He was dressed in his street clothes and even though I was pretty sure of the answer I asked if he was done for the day.
He said yes, he was headed home. Now Chico understands some English, but at this point I was using my Portuguese.  Chico, like our other workers has come to understand my redition of Portuguese and so I try to practice whenever I can. Like the others he will correct me and help restructure my sentence so it actually makes sense.
I told him I was headed to Maf. and I asked if he wanted a ride. He agreed and jumped in the car and we headed off to the nutrition center.
After a few minutes I got thinking about it and was pretty sure Chico did not live in Maf. I decided to question him about exactly where he lives. He then asks if I know where Manuel lived. I asked which Manuel and once he clarified I said yes, I know. Chico said 'I live near him'.
So now picture this, I'm driving this poor young man in complete opposite direction of his home. There he sits beside me smiling away, happy as ever, he has a grin that just won't quit!
I tried then to explain and apologize for taking him in the wrong direction.
He just kept smiling, saying 'nao, noa, isso nao problemo'.

We picked up the team, and now I 'm trying to explain why we're going to be taking Chico home. It was  the least I could do as I had just taken the guy a good 30 additional minutes from his home!
So off we go, Chico in the front seat just a-smilin away the entire time. I was grateful to be able to take him home, to repay his kindness. After all he only got in the car in the first place to please me!

Yesterday morning was a special time I have to tell you about. I think I've mentioned that we meet with all our Mozambican staff at 7am each morning. We have a time for devotions, or bible study, prayer requests and then a song or two. We also get our business of the day worked in and then the staff head out to begin their work. It's proven to be a truly perfect way to start each day.

So yesterday morning, I could hear that the empregada's were outside, their laughter is quite distinct and contageous I might add. After a few minutes I could hear the ladies, the laughter and talking had turned into singing. There they were coming in dancing in a line, singing as they entered the house!
They had gotten together and planned this little performance, they even had bought matching capalanas with the extra money we gave them to enjoy their holiday!!
I was so blessed by their thoughtfulness...it was just a sweet moment and I so wished that Kathy could have been there to see 'our girls' giving us what they could afford to give, themselves ...singing and dancing songs to the Lord!

Today, Todd, Ercylio, Manuel and I were off to Beria, we had documents in hand, signed by government officials and everything. We are in the process of trying to get our visas stamped and extended for another 60+ days. They did eventually 'accept' the papers, but this is no guarantee that they will extend the visa, this just means....now we wait. It is good news really, because they could have refused to even accept them, to look at and review, so you never know.
We will go back on Monday and see if they have made any decision. Depending on what they decide, we may or maynot be heading to the airport enroute to Joberg for an over night stay, next week.

Prayer requests:
                          * Pray for Chico...he's a good young man and we are blessed to know him.
                          * Pray for our emprigadas, their health and their families.
                          * Pray that they will stamp and extend our visas, without having to fly to Joberg.

Thanks once again for reading this, and for praying!!

No comments: