Jul 27, 2010

God's direction is always the right one





For those of you who may not know, Kathy had to return home to Cedar Rapids quite suddenly on Saturday July 17th. Her mother had gotten sick and no one knew what to expect. So Kathy is at ‘home’ in the states with her family.

Here in Dondo, Kathy and I pretty much would do everything together and that works well for us. So, unless we needed to go off in different directions, you most always would see us working together.

So it goes without saying that I am missing my dear friend, it’s lonely and way too quiet in the house, especially at night! There has been no laughing, no guitar playing, no movie night and that means no popcorn either!  Okay I did have popcorn one nightJ
The one thing I have continued, in her absence is reading the Psalms, out loud, before I go to bed, it sure does make for a peaceful nights rest….thanks Kathy J

I love life here, but until now I have only known life here with Kathy. Now there have been times, as you know when she’s been laid up with Malaria and I would step up and do both jobs, and visa versa.
 The difference being, she was just down the hall and I could get her input on something or together we could make a decision. 
This is no longer the case, not to mention the fact that we have not had internet since she left, and the cell phone service has been the most unreliable and inconsistent EVER!!!!

So not only am I missing my friend but I have had no communication with her or my daughters for a week now….talk about feeling isolated!


So today, after delivering team members to their ministry sites, I had several errands to run. Like most days you start off with one thing in mind and eventually you may actually get that one thing accomplished.
The great thing about getting a job done here, is the path you have to take to make it happen, it’s nothing you could ever ‘plan’ for.
For example, the people you stop and talk with or the rides you may need to give, the emergencies that come up or the stories that get shared, always something. The best part of all is being able to share the love of Jesus. By listening, by giving a ride, by praying for someone’s sick relative, it’s all part of God’s plan.

 Today felt different at least from my perspective, as I was alone in the car.
But as far as the path, or should I say paths, that needed to be taken to get some things done, well that was pretty much the same. The really cool thing is eventually it all gets done.


Now where was I?  Oh yes, the point of this blog was to share about the ‘normal’ twists and turns most days take. But also to point out how we may perceive things as ‘bad’, but God has the ‘Whole Perspective’ in view.

I found myself sharing this thought with Agustino, one of our translators. As I was driving him around looking for kerosene….you guessed it, kerosene was not part of any plan for this morning.


Anyway, today I’m wondering if God is simply answering some of the questions I have been asking.

When you become accustomed to doing something one way, and then all of a sudden it’s a different way, it shows you many things. 
Very often I find myself saying “ you don’t know, what you don’t know”.
 This seems to be a significant theme in my life lately. But once you do know, you need to use what you have learned and move forward.

I don’t know what I am capable of until it’s before me. It still amazes me every time I do something and think, ‘how in the world did I ever accomplish that’.  The answer is always the same…only through the Lord’s strength and provision.

So I’ve been thinking, it’s easy to observe when someone else is in the lead, especially as you learn to be slow to speak and quick to listen. You can get comfortable there…. following. But, at the same time you may begin to question your own abilities.  
Many times I have thought ‘I wonder if I could do this work if I were alone?’

What I am learning is that “I can do all things though Him who strengthens me” Philippians 4:13.

God continues to show me what I am capable of. He also is showing me that He provided me with a friend and helper to make the journey all the sweeter!

I have needed to take the lead in many instances since Kathy went home.  But God… has so thoroughly blessed me, even my Portuguese seems to have improved! Definitely only God could do that!

It’s been different, being here by myself that’s for sure and it wouldn’t be what I would have chosen.  I think about the ‘Whole Perspective ‘ that God has, and His perfect plan for each of our lives.
I can see where He will use every circumstance to grow and teach us.
I pray that I am learning what He is teaching.

1 comment:

emily said...

Oh Val, it was like Christmas for me to read all your updates at once. Don't know if you found emails, but I have so been praying for you without your "sidekick!" Wonderful to hear how God is continuing to provide for you in every single way! Praying that Aiden is well by now too! Miss you, but so thankful that you could get the posts up! Much love and prayers for you and the dear people of Moz!