Jul 8, 2010

Update from Dondo

I am trusting that at least some of you have opened my blog looking for an update over these past few weeks. Well, here it is...finally.

As I look back over my last blog entries I see that I neglected to mentioned the fact that I was having some health issues. The most likely explanation for not sharing this would be my unwillingness to give in to being sick, I just hate letting it get the best of me.

So I guess I need to rewind to June 14th, that would be the day I felt a bad pain in my back. I had been going non-stop for several weeks and thought that I must have strained it. My plan was to hang in there a few more days, as the team we were hosting were scheduled to leave on the 17th.
 I would really rest it then, as we would be without visitors for almost a full month, due to the limited flights available as a result of the world cup. So we had been looking forward to this lengthy respite since we arrived in May!

First one week then the next, my back was not letting up, actually it was getting worse. Now I can honestly say that I am the furthest thing from a hypochondriac, but it was starting to get the better of me. I was not sleeping and the pain was pretty constant. The thing that concerned me the most was the thought that I may have to return to the states.
Then finally during the night on June 30th I was awake all night. The pain was incredible, like none I ever remember, and so I prayed for God to stay with me and show me what I needed to do.

At the Lord's prompting I sent an email during the night to Dr Brian, an American doctor I know who teaches at the University in Beria. He called me that morning and after we talked he agreed with my concern that it was probably my kidney and not my back after all.
 He said he needed to examine me but wouldn't have access to an ultrasound machine until the next day, so I needed to wait.

Friday morning we headed to the University clinic to see Dr Brian. Examine and ultrasound done.
( details of these procedures are a story in and of themselves, trust me)
He said he felt that  "one shadow area" was either a stone or cyst which may have burst. He said I needed to have an IVP done to be certain.
He instructed me on what I needed to take for the pain and said to notify him when I had the results from the IVP, x-rays and blood work he ordered.

That all happen one week ago.

I couldn't have the blood work till Monday the 5th ( there's another story :) The x-rays would be done the next day ( Tuesday) and the IVP needed to wait till the following Monday the 12th.
So as the days passed, I am waiting, and I'm praying for God's direction in all of this.

I started to notice that the pain was much less, was it because of the medicine or was I getting better?
By Sunday I had stopped taking the medicine to see if I was pain free without the meds.
I was! I still felt nothing like myself, sleeping the entire weekend away....but I was better!

I continued to pray for God's direction through all of this, as I wanted to follow where He was leading.
 I know many of you were praying for a healing and I thank you! He heard every one of those prayers and I am here to tell you He has healed me!
My blood work on Monday showed nothing out of the norm. I am still not sure about the x-rays. Here you are given your actual x-rays, you then take them to your doctor for interpretation.
As far as the IVP, because I am almost back to normal, I am not planning on having the test done.

Needless to say I never expected the events of these past few weeks to occur. I really was planning on taking things slow and getting some good rest, honestly! But, clearly God had other plans for me.

 I have been humbled and blessed by the events of this past week.  God has blessed me with increased wisdom as a result of what I have experienced. He has shown himself to be faithful, even when my faith was lacking.
He has helped me to see how blessed I am to have a dearly loved friend with me on this journey. He has helped me to see first hand the power of prayer, and His ability to heal.

He has also given me insight into how the medical system works in a Third World country. How the people here endure daily, things that would never be tolerated or even imagined in the states. How absolutely blessed we are to be wealthy, privileged Americans, with every comfort and convenience!


This experience has given me a deeper understanding of just how intimate God's wants to be with me, and with each one of us.
He has taught me the power of prayer, not just "saying the words" prayer, but the kind of prayer that you believe can and will be answered.
He is the only true Physician, who is able to heal all sickness.
Thank you all for your prayers!!!!


 ...the effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much ( James 5:16)

1 comment:

emily said...

Love it, Love Him, Love you! Going fishin' with my man!