Feb 9, 2009

Diversion verses Necessity

I found myself here at MTI  all alone on Saturday. The SPLICE program ended on Friday, only  7 people  were staying over for PILAT, and they all had plans for the day. It was very weird, after living in community with so many people for 3 weeks, to then find myself completely alone. 

 As I talked with God and asked Him to keep me company this day, I felt His presence. It was then that I realized the date, it was February 7th, it would have been mine and Jimmy's 10th wedding anniversary. I wondered why God had allowed these exact circumstances for today...

It was then that my daughter Katie skyped me, and I shared with her what day it was. She asked 'how are you with that ?' I could answer 'it's really okay'. God was keeping me company today and I felt His peace and presence in my heart. Thank you Jesus.

It was another beautiful day in Colorado, and the trail behind MTI which is several miles long with an exquisite view of the Rockies was calling. So it was decided, I would take the trail and head towards town. There is a grocery store there, and I needed to pick up some fruit and stamps. Now I had a plan and I knew it would take most of the morning to accomplish.

As I walked the trail I noticed that the dirt reminded me of the roads in Mozambique, dry, sandy dirt. I started to think about the women of Mozambique, this trek that I was on today would be nothing to them. I started praying to God and asking that He would help me to appreciate all He has given me. 
I began to hear each step I was taking, with my hiking boots. I had sufficient clothing to protect me, sunglasses and a comfortable backpack to carry my supplies home in. Once again all of my needs were met. I had prayed for a diversion this day and God provided.

I started to cry when He brought the ladies of Mozambique to mind again. They walk this far everyday, sometimes twice a day, not 'for something to do' but because the need to survive. They need to feed and take care of their families.   

I pray Lord that each day You will help me to be thankful for all that You provide. 



No comments: